This was delicious! This was made on a whim after we decided to have fish for dinner but didnt know what to cook with it. I found a recipe book under the bed and it was actually Lee who thought this would be good try. So off he went to the shop to get eggs and potatoes as I said I would I would cook it 🙂
It was quick and easy just like the title suggests and both boys loved it – eating all the fish and the boiled eggs without question – which is a great result, especially for Max who hasn’t really been eating all that well recently.
There is somethings much more satisfying about eating nice fresh made food as opposed to ready made meals.
Quick and easy fish pie
- 900 g 2lb floury potatoes, peeled and quartered,
- Knob of butter
- 675 g 1 1/2lb White fish, cut into chunky pieces
- 150 ml 5fl oz Milk
- 175 g 6oz Frozen peas
- 4 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped (optional)
- For the Sauce
- 30 g 1oz butter
- 30 g 1oz flour
- 300 ml 10fl oz milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 200 c (400 f Gas 6)
- 2. Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water until soft. Drain well and mash. Add butter and mash again.
- 3. Put the fish in a shallow frying pan. Season well with salt and black pepper. Pour just enough milk to cover and poach over a medium heat for 3-4 min. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- For the Sauce,
- 4.Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until smooth. Return to the heat and add the milk little by little, stirring constantly. Keep cooking and stirring for 5-10 min until sauce has thickened.
- Add more milk if needed.
- Stir thought the mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the peas and eggs (if using) and stir gently
- 5.Spoon the sauce on top of the fish and stir gently
- Top with the mash potato and fork the top so that the potato forms peaks
- Dot with a little extra butter if you wish then cook in the oven or under a hot grill for 10 min until the top is crisp and golden